Sunday, 19 September 2010

INTIMATIONS - BANG! nsfw


All good things start with a big BANG and this is pretty banging, non?

Major Lazer's 'Pon de Floor' is directed by Eric Wareheimer, the John Waters of music videos.  Though I think bad taste is Divine darling, this is so wrong it's definitely wrong.  Last I laughed and cringed this much in equal measure was watching Edie sitting in her cot, all bulging bust and almost having a petite mort over the egg man's wares in Pink Flamigos.

But, if your eyes can dodge past the dirty dancing, Pon de Floor has some terrorific graphics on offer, the kind you might find at a Manish Arora show, whose epic battles of OTT pattern and unexpected proportions are on the right side of wrong.  I received an invite to a few of his shows, but alas I was practically tied to my desk and sadly missed the spectacle.   I hope to make a mends one day!  Now the celebration has upped to Paris, the Ganesh of LFW is sorely missed.

 http://www.manisharora.ws

 Manish Arora s/s 2009 pictures by Anthea Simms
 Manish Arora s/s 2008 pictures by Anthea Simms
The Uk's answer to Bjork, Paloma Faith in glorious Manish regalia
Paloma is also an enthusiast of Ashish Gupta, another visionaire from the Republic of India.   Remember the hungry caterpillar pompom outfit on Nevermind the Buzzcocks?  Of course you do!  The Ashish woman likes to make an entrance for herself, not a quick exit.  Lets say that you couldn’t have a secret stash of Ashish.


Launched at LFW in 2004, Ashish built up to a crescendo with his 'explosion in a Bridget Riley paint factory' collection for a/w 2009, his most exuberant to date.  Though his recent handiwork has been more subdued, albeit by his own standards, it still enjoys fierce dimensions, challenging combos and of course tonnes of sequins. 

Mr Gupta, what will you treat us to on Tuesday?!  I will be on the edge of my seat, at home, waiting for whomever uploads first, because I know that your promise of exotic extremes will help me find the strength to drag myself through winter in my painful brogue boots.  Can I make a quick request?  Can I sit next to Roisin Murphy next time?

http://www.ashish.co.uk

Guns Don't Kill People...Lazers Do by Major Lazer was the official soundtrack for this post


No comments: